Here you can find out more information on how we support children with special educational needs or disabilities at St James Primary School. For even further details, please take a look at our SEND local offer by clicking here.
Our school mission statement is ‘Learning to live, living to learn, learning from Christ’. We encourage all our pupils to aim high and achieve to the best of their ability. As teachers, we work hard to support all the children in our school to be the best they can – including all the children with special educational needs or disabilities. We want all pupils to make the best possible progress in school.
We are an inclusive school and strive to support all children to enable them to make the best possible progress and achieve well. To accomplish these aims, we offer a broad and balanced curriculum with high quality teaching. We provide effective support for children with special educational needs and disabilities, starting from our first contacts with parents and carers when a child enters our school. We make sure that additional needs are identified early and we offer a range of provision according to identified needs.
Our aims and objectives
In making provision for pupils with SEND, our aims and objectives are
- to create a learning environment that meets the special educational needs of each child
- to ensure that the special educational needs of children are identified, assessed and provided for from the earliest possible age
- to ensure that all partners in the process of meeting a child’s individual needs understand and fullfil their responsibilities
- to ensure, in particular, that all school staff understand and fullfil their roles and responsibilities in providing for children's special educational needs
- to have the highest expectations of the progress in learning which can be achieved by all individual pupils, regardless of their individual needs
- to enable all children, including those with SEND, to have full access to all elements of the school curriculum, and to maximise their learning and achievement
- to ensure that parents or carers are able to play their part in supporting their child's education
- to ensure that our children have a voice in deciding how their individual needs might best
- be met
- to ensure that all necessary resources are made available to meet pupils’ individual needs.
In our school, we aim to offer excellence and choice to all our children, whatever their ability or needs. We have high expectations of all our children and strive to put these into practice through the removal of barriers to learning and participation. We want all our children to feel that they are a valued part of our school community. Through appropriate curricular provision, we respect the fact that children:
- have different educational,social, emotional and behavioural needs and aspirations;
- require different strategies for learning;
- acquire, assimilate and communicate information at different rates;
- need a range of different teaching approaches and experiences.
For more information, download our SEND policy here