We are going to the Museum of London to the Hand Of The Beast workshop in October and the National Gallery in November.
This year, we will become art critics and designers
Welcome to Year 2. Our class value is WISDOM
In Year 2 we plan a lot of creative and cross curricular activities to support our children’s curiosity. The focus in our year group is very much on learning in an exciting way to promote a love of learning. You can find out all about Year 2 on this page - including what we are studying this half term, your home learning for the week, information on any half term projects and lots of great resources for parents and children.
What are we reading in Year 2?
Orion And The Dark.
What are we learning this half term in Year 2 ?
Welcome back to the new school year, we are very excited to get to know your children over the coming months and have a busy and exciting half term ahead. For information about our learning this half term, please see the curriculum map to the left of this page.
Home learning will be added to the class page of the website each week. This will include a spelling shed activity and Times Tables Rockstars. There will also be information about the work we will be doing in class over the coming week and some questions/ activities for your children to complete.
Please ensure your child is reading at home for 20 minutes every day. Reading records should come into school every day and there will be opportunity in the week for children to share what they have been reading.
Our P.E. days are Tuesday (outdoor) and Wednesday (indoor). Please ensure that children have the correct PE kit including suitable footwear.
Should you wish to meet with your child’s teacher, there will be an opportunity for an informal drop in every Tuesday from 3.30 – 4.00pm . If there is something urgent you wish to discuss please arrange an appointment with the school office.
Parents - helping at home with Maths
If you would like to know more about how we teach Maths from Reception to Year 6, you can click here. There are some useful downloads and videos to watch.
Our Focus For The Week Ahead & Home Learning
Other Great Resources For Year 2 Parents and Children
There are lots and lots of great websites that can help you with everything from practicing your timetables to your half term research projects. Here are some that we think are the best.
Reading and Spelling - In Year 2 we use the Ruth Miskin Read, Write Inc scheme of work to teach reading. You can find out more about it here. You can also click here to learn more about your child's developing reader skills and if you'd like to find out more about spelling as part of the national curriculum, then please click here
Handwriting - You can click here to see how our children start to form letters and we how we teach handwriting in Year 2. Each letter has a rhyme that goes with it and you can see them here. We use the Nelson handwriting scheme of work and you can find out more about it here
ICT Games - To practice lots of different Literacy and Maths skills, you could try ICT Games
Tests and Assessments
For more information on the SATs tests that your child will take in the Summer term, please click here to watch an information video.
National Curriculum Guidance And Expectations
Where should your child be at the end of Year 2? According to national age related expectations, your child should
- Secure with year group phonic expectations.
- Recognise simple recurring literary language.
- Read ahead to help with fluency and expression.
- Comment on plot, setting & characters in familiar & unfamiliar stories.
- Recount main themes and events.
- Comment on structure of the text.
- Use commas, question marks and exclamation marks to vary expression.
- Read aloud with expression and intonation.
- Recognise: commas in lists, apostrophe of omission and possession (singular noun)
- Identify past/present tense and why the writer has used a tense.
- Use content and index to locate information.
- Write different kinds of sentence: statement, question, exclamation, command.
- Use expanded noun phrases to add description and specification.
- Write using subordination (when, if, that, because) and co-ordination (or, and, but).
- Correct and consistent use of present tense & past tense.
- Correct use of verb tenses.
- Write with correct and consistent use of: capital letters, full stops, question marks, exclamation marks
- Use commas in a list.
- Use apostrophe to mark omission and singular possession in nouns.
- Write under headings.
- Write lower case letters correct size relative to one another.
- Show evidence of diagonal and horizontal strokes to join handwriting.
- Compare and order numbers up to 100 and use < > =.
- Read and write all numbers to 100 in digits & words.
- Say 10 more/less than any number to 100.
- Count in steps of 2, 3 & 5 from zero and in 10s from any number (forwards and backwards).
- Recall and use multiplication & division facts for 2, 5 & 10 tables.
- Recall and use +/- facts to 20.
- Derive and use related facts to 100.
- Recognise place value of any 2-digit number.
- Add & subtract: 2-digit nos & ones, 2-digit nos & tens, Two 2-digit nos, Three 1-digit nos
- Recognise and use inverse (+/-).
- Calculate and write multiplication & division calculations using multiplication tables.
- Recognise, find, name and write 1/3; 1/4; 2/4; 3/4.
- Write and recognise equivalence of simple fractions.
- Tell time to five minutes, including quarter past/to